If you’re traveling to Clearwater, Florida prepare for lots of entertainment, great casual and fine dining, and plenty of outdoor activities. And let’s not forget about those beaches: miles and miles of white sandy beaches. We can feel those Gulf breezes now! Seriously, the beaches are among the very best.
One attraction to jot down on your Clearwater to-see list is the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, a wonderful, family-favorite where guests can view, touch and experience the biology and behavior of bottlenose dolphins, loggerhead sea turtles, river otters, stingrays, and many more.
A neat part of the Clearwater Aquarium experience is visiting with Winter, the bottlenose dolphin who was rescued in December 2005 after having her tail caught in a crab trap, causing her to lose her tail.
The aquarium fitted her with a prosthetic tail, which brought worldwide attention to the aquarium.
Winter starred in the 2011 Dolphin Tale, a film based on her life events. Now a big movie star, Winter and her new dolphin friend Hope were featured in the 2014 follow-up film Dolphin Tale 2.
You can walk right up to the railing of Winter and Hope’s pool in Winter Zone for a close up look at the inspirational dolphins.
They even have a reality TV show! Rescue-Clearwater is a web series that goes behind the real-life work at Clearwater Marine Aquarium.
Other must-see exhibits include…
- Meet North American river otters Walle, Cooper and Oscar at Otter Oasis, where sand, water and toys created the perfect haven for these active residents
- Check out Nurse Sharks Thelma and Louise at Shark Pass
- Visit Turtle Bayou to see sea turtles Ula, Cupid and Titus
- Hand-feed Cownose and Southern stingrays at Stingray Beach
- Stroll around Harborview Deck, a beautiful deck that overlooks Winter & Hope’s pools as well as Clearwater’s Mandalay Channel
A day at the Clearwater Aquarium fits in perfectly with your Clearwater itinerary. Don’t miss out on our super savings for admission tickets!
Clearwater is great year-round destination for the whole family, and a visit to the Clearwater Aquarium will only make your vacation even more enjoyable.
By: Jeff Hyatt